I’m a digital design, strategy, product, and marketing director in San Francisco with over 10 years of experience. I’m interested in connecting, learning, and applying my expertise to awesome projects. I love working with teams and meeting new people. Have a great time learning more about me and I look forward to hearing from you.
Check out my Résumé.
Design, Strategy, Product, and Marketing Director
Ryan M. Bolin
Research & Strategy
Design & Messaging
Implementation & Content
Analytics & Optimization
Digital Product Design
User Experience (UX)
User Interface (UI)
I love what I do
A self-starter, I’m always ready to work, love what I do, and am motivated to do more. I’m eager to work with teams, share knowledge, and combine our skills to produce excellent work. I care greatly about communication, organization, positive leadership, humility, listening, and learning.
I start projects by building relationships with the team and learning as much as I can about the users in which we intend to engage. This allows me, and my team, to perform at our best and make accurate decisions.
Leadership, Direction & Communication
- Client and executive facing, creative and digital leadership roles in a digital agency, B2B, and B2C environments.
- Experience collaborating with executive, director, manager, strategy, design, and development teams to envision and iterate concepts.
- Excellent presentation skills and communication abilities at all levels of internal, client-facing, and across disciplines.
- Proven ability to prioritize work and resources across engagements to improve processes and keep work on budget and schedule.
- Successful track record leading interdisciplinary teams in creating products, with proven skills in mentoring, presenting, client partnerships, and visual communication.
- Experience driving product strategy, managing product life cycles, and go-to-market campaigns, and large-scale projects in the digital environment.
- Track record of managing and communicating strategic initiatives to both key stakeholders and internal teams.
- Ability to rapidly build expertise on new businesses and industry verticals.
- A passion for implementing design thinking, agile, and scrum methodology where applicable and creating shared processes across the team.
Digital Design & Marketing
- Digital design experience creating interfaces, large-scale digital experiences, products, applications, mobile, and campaigns in a digital agency, B2B, and B2C environments.
- Proven working knowledge of interaction design, user-centric experience design, brand identity development, digital marketing, and the creative process, as well as new platforms and technologies for digital channels and media.
- Experience partnering with UX Research and leveraging data to amplify research and design impact.
- An advanced proficiency with design, prototyping, and presentational tools such as Sketch, Axure, InDesign, Xd, and Adobe CS to produce wireframes, high fidelity mockups, marketing collateral, and media.
- A strong understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX process (personas, scenarios, wireframing, and high fidelity visuals).
- Strength in applying the methodologies of interaction design and research to business problems.
- Experience using web analytics data to inform design decisions— Intermediate understanding of major web analytics packages and SEO strategies.
- Experience in creating and executing ROI-positive digital marketing programs and campaigns.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
Head of Growth
2016 - Present
I currently work part-time at Acuity Agriculture as Head of Growth. We are an AgTech startup founded in 2014. We provide farms with wireless sensors to collect field condition data that is viewed on a dashboard accessed by your device.
In this hybrid role, I work to scale the team, product, marketing, customer base, and quality control. This is a great challenge to take on and I’m excited to be moving forward. As early-stage startup roles go, my daily activities include directing Product Design, Product Ownership, Product Marketing Management, Marketing, Digital Marketing, Operations and Processes, Growth Management, Quality Assurance, Team Builder, etc…
Since early 2016, I have spent my evenings and weekends working on product design and marketing. Acuity Agriculture empowers the agriculture industry with the ability to grow more with fewer resources, especially in the face of increasing climate instability.
Creative, Product, and Digital Marketing Director
2018 - Present
Freelance direction for digital design, product, and marketing across a wide range of businesses and applications.
Cog1 Digital Agency
Creative Director, Digital Marketing Director, and Senior Producer
2015 - 2018
Cog1 is a digital marketing agency focused on creating experiences and products that elevate brands. I was brought in as Senior Producer before being assigned to the Creative and Digital Marketing Director roles.
Clients included: WP Engine, IREI, Bogle Vineyards, Phantom, Hack Reactor, Renaissance Learning, Launch Forth, Allianz, United States Marine Corps, and Newgen Software.
Creative Director of Marketing, Assistant Creative Director
2012 - 2015
BDNA provides the most comprehensive, accurate view into an organization’s IT infrastructure in order to drive critical IT processes and projects. BDNA transforms data into information and delivers the business-relevant information required to accelerate corporate initiatives.
Leading the digital marketing creative team, I was able to unify the brand identity, optimize processes, build a digital marketing system, and tools to drive leads for the field marketing team.
Our website won Gold at the 2015 Golden Gate Awards and BDNA was acquired by Flexera in 2017.
Digital Designer and Director
2009 - 2015
Freelance Web, UI and UX design and direction for web applications, mobile applications (iPhone and Android platforms), and branding.
Clients include: Fiberbuilt, Awe.sm, NamuSF, Namu Street Food, UpCounsel, Tom Murphy Presents, Deathbowl to Downtown
Creative Director, Lead Designer
2011 - 2013
UpCounsel is the trusted go-to resource for businesses to access amazing lawyers effortlessly and cost-effectively for any legal need.
I was brought on as the Creative Director to conceptualize and design the product in collaboration with the CEO and CTO. I managed and designed the UI, UX, website content, marketing, promotional content, branding, animation, video and print materials. This position has given me experience in building a company from the ground up, project management and direction, and large-scale interactive, UI and UX design strategy.
As of summer 2018, UpCounsel has received over $24 million in funding through a Series B. They are growing rapidly, expanding product features, and continuing to disrupt the legal industry.
2008 - 2012
Interactive Designer and Production Artist for web applications, interactive flash sites, large-scale campaigns, CMS driven HTML / CSS websites, mobile applications for iPhone and Android, brand design, content creation, animation, video and print materials.
Clients included: Clif Bar, Ticketmaster, Live Nation, Capital One, Asics, Cheetos, Youtube, Method, STP, Sutter Health, Suzuki, The History Channel, Autodesk, and Kenmore.
Awards & Recognition
Grand Award: Websites Category (2018)
Institutional Real Estate, Inc.’s New Website
Golden Bridge, Best in Biz
Gold Award: Best Website Design (2015)
Consumer Website Merit Award (2009)
CLIF Bar: 2 Mile Challenge website
Dual Major, Business and French
Located in Rock Island, Illinois, Augustana is a selective, private liberal arts and sciences college, founded in 1860.
Canadian Academy International High School
International Studies and Culture
Sitting on Rokko Island in Kobe, Japan, Canadian Academy International High School features students from over 100 different countries. A college preparatory school with a strong core curriculum, they also host a wide range of international, creative, and cultural studies.